Wednesday, 1 February 2012

Please... not another chicken...

I'm all chickened out.
Well that's a lie, I'm never that tired of chicken :)


I chose the drumsticks first, along with a red pepper and beetroot salad with a clementine dressing - a great choice even if I say so myself :)


NEWSFLASH (however very ever-so-slightly late); I think the Paula Deen/ diabetes story has been covered to death but hey, why not throw my two pence into the mix of it all? First of all I would like to say that I'm not a scientist or a doctor I just like to read and have opinions :)

I think we need to take personal responsibility for what we eat. I'm guessing noone's being force fed Paula Deens unhealthy-high-fat and high-sugar/carbohydrate dishes? If you choose to make some of her dishes and theyre unhealthy for you then dont make them and you wont have to eat them!

I like to think that when stories like this come out it causes people to pay more attention to the food they're eating rather than getting drawn into a glamourously sugar frosted world of ignorance.

In a lot of the articles I've read about the Paula Deen saga, her foods are blamed for the high fat content alone. I'm sure the vast amount of poor quality fats used are a contributing factor and probably do get more than a look in. Although, seeing as diabetes is a loss of control over blood SUGAR levels and it is the sugar in the diet which is easily stored as fat in the body and the sugar which sends the blood glucose levels sky high... see where I'm going with this? Fats aren't the big issue - healthy fats are a vital part of our diet along with healthy carbohydrates in the form of vegetables and fruits and healthy proteins such as meats, eggs, nuts. However a processed grains and sugar based diet mixed with copious amount of unhealthy fats... maybe not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment