Thursday, 6 September 2012

The "Perfect Chronic Poison"?

One of my favourite things to do is to wander round markets, especially farmers markets but any market will do. I get drawn into the informal, personable nature of the stalls. The hustle and bustle of people walking down the street. And I'm pretty sure I'm going to be on my own with this one, but I'm like  magpie when it comes to vegetables. I think it must be all the colours. Obviously I just get dazzled.

Sometimes my attention is diverted by a gust of air, laced with the scent of freshly baked bread. That warm scent, filled with memories of old forgotten foods, toys with my mind. Clouding my judgement. I'll be fine if I just have one bite. I've been known to give in at times like this or when out with friends. Eating with other people who don't follow your way of eating can be especially tough.

A bite or two into the sandwich or piece of pizza or whatever vice that happens to be an achilles heel at that precise moment doesn't ever taste as good as it used to. The smell that promised to take me back to a time when I was happy eating this food seems deceiving as eating it now, the flavour is different. Instead of the flavourful slices they were years ago, now I can't get past the cardboard taste.

I end up regretting the choice and usually my health ends up paying spectacularly over the next few days (or sometimes even weeks) for that momentary relapse. Luckily nowadays this rarely ever happens. Maybe a couple of times a year but I'm gradually starting to get it through my head that I will have to pay afterwards with my health for a momentary disgression that, at the end of the day, isn't even worth it.

Yes, the foods which are bad for us (highly processed, high in sugar,refined carbohydrates and grains) can be exciting either tantalising for our taste buds or our emotional side. But if my personal experience is anything to go by then it is not worth it. Junk food isn't worth it. I don't want to treat my body that way. If I want it to work the way I want it to and to be as healthy as it can possibly be then I have to put in the right fuel.

This means eating real food. Whole, unprocessed foods. A common thought for this is if you don't know how it was made or got onto your plate then don't eat it., this also goes for food packets; don't understand what's written on the packet then put it down and back away. Fast.) There's nothing wrong with simplifying things (there will be a blog post in the near future on this topic).

So instead of reaching for tempting but health devastating foods, occasionally it helps me to read up about why I no longer eat grains and processed/ refined foods. Articles such as this; http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/?tag=pop%3bstories
Dr William Davis states that the wheat that we are eating nowadays is not the same wheat we were eating, even up until a few decades ago and this could be a large contributor to the addictive quality to overeating and weight issues.

They may be very simple reminders and of course I know deep down why I don't eat such a bad diet anymore but sometimes in the moment when a bagel schmeared with sugary spreads is flaunting itself under my nose, a quick and easy reminder can help me to confidently turn down the bad food and instead pick up some whole food. I know I will be happier and healthier for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment